Sunday, November 25, 2012

Paci Intervention

This weekend we tackled going paci free with Austin. He is was seriously addicted. We decided to just go cold turkey. I got a lot of advice and we contemplated cutting the nipples off and giving to him that way or having him send them to the paci fairy. But in the end we thought since he was so addicted we would just take them away and tell him they had gone bye bye and he was a big boy now. I cut up a few and threw them away so I wouldn't be tempted but couldn't bring myself to do that to all of them.

We started out at bedtime and did our routine like normal. We put him down and left the room. First thing we heard was him searching the room. He went through his bed, drawers and closet. Then we heard a tiny "Awww man!" and he started to cry. It was heartbreaking and I have to admit I almost caved. But we were strong and he only cried for about 30 minutes on and off. The next morning was the worst. He woke up at 5:30 screaming "My paci is gone" over and over. Ryan went up there to try and soothe him but ended up just getting him breakfast. He was very clingy the whole morning and I think they only word he said all morning was paci.

We decided to take him to the store and let him pick out a big boy toy for being paci free. He picked a really cool John Deere Animal Toy. And seemed pretty proud of himself. He did not nap but I figured that would be the case and he doesn't always nap on the weekends I think because Ryan is here and he wants to spend time with him. He had one mini meltdown around 3:30 when he gets kind of sleepy anyway but I just told him he was a big boy now.




We did the same thing for bed that night and he only cried for 10 minutes and never asked for the paci. He slept all the way through the night and woke up normal time happy and not crying. When I went up to get him he did search his bed and said "It's gone" but that was it. I think it is safe to say we are paci free!! It makes me sad because it does mean he is growing up but I am very happy and proud of him for handling it so well. I think it was way rougher on us. I do have a 3 day rule when it comes to training of any kind so we still have to get through tonight but I know we can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment